Have to & Must

"Have to" can be used as a main verb
"Must" is a modal verb, and it can not be used as a main verb, so a main verb must be added, to the sentence when using "must"


Must - is used for to state personal personal obligation or respectability: there is no rule or law
  • I must go to the store.
  • We must learn English.
  • I must go to sleep.
  • We must help the lady next door.
  • I must call my sister.
Have to - is used to state non-personal obligations or responsibly; a rule or law
  • I have to pay our bill.
  • The girls have to work late next week.
  • I have to to work hard.
  • We have to pay tax.
  • Our teacher has to give us an exam.
Note: Have To & Must are usually interchangeably

Must Not means forbidden!! not allowed to do something or go somewhere
  • I must not pay the electric bill late.
  • We must not drive a car without car insurance.
  • I must not let the dog outside without a leash.
Do not have to - is used to say something is not necessary to do, but you can do it if you want
  • I do not have to go to the store.
  • We do not have to see my son's teacher.
  • I do not have to call my sister she, because I will see her latter.

Most read Lessons

THE TYPES OF CONDITIONAL SENTENCES

Future Tenses in English

The use of the verb to have

The use of Verb to be

What are the differences between descent, decent, and dissent?

TRAVEL - TRIP - JOURNEY - TOUR - VOYAGE

The Four Smart Students

Past Continuous

GRAMMAR, MORAL AND LEADERSHIP

Causative Verbs in English: