ACTIVE / PASSIVE FROMS OF VERBS





- The passive form of verbs is made with the different tenses of BE + the past participle :(for example : English is spoken here.) - We use the active form to say what the subject does. For example:I speak English every day at work.I repaired the flat tire on the car.


-The subject of a passive verb corresponds to the object of an active verb :Food is cooked every day. (Passive).The chef cooks food every day. (Active)- We use the passive form to say what happens to people and things, to say what is done to them. For example:English is spoken here.The car is being repaired.- We use the passive form when we don't know who did the action.


For example:The car was damaged while it was parked on the street.The shirts were made in Turkey.

The letter was delivered at 9 a.m.

The identity of the person who delivered the letter is unknown or unimportant.


- If we want to say who delivered the letter, we use 'by':

The letter was delivered by the postman.


VERB ACTIVE PASSIVE

Infinitive : To cook ,To be cooked



- Present Simple : I cook food in the kitchen. Food is cooked in the kitchen.

- Present Continuous: I am cooking food in the kitchen./ Food is being cooked in the kitchen.

- Present Perfect: I have cooked food in the kitchen. / Food has been cooked in the kitchen.

- Past Simple: I cooked food in the kitchen./ Food was cooked in the kitchen.

- Past Continuous: I was cooking food in the kitchen./ Food was being cooked in the kitchen.

- Past Perfect: I had cooked food in the kitchen./ Food had been cooked in the kitchen.

- Future: I will cook food in the kitchen / Food will be cooked in the kitchen.

- Future Perfect: I will have cooked food in the kitchen. / Food will have been cooked in the kitchen.

- Conditional: I would cook food in the kitchen. / Food would be cooked in the kitchen.

- Cond. Perfect: I would have cooked food in the kitchen./ Food would have been cooked in the kitchen .


Thanks for reading !!

Most read Lessons

THE TYPES OF CONDITIONAL SENTENCES

Future Tenses in English

The use of the verb to have

The use of Verb to be

What are the differences between descent, decent, and dissent?

TRAVEL - TRIP - JOURNEY - TOUR - VOYAGE

The Four Smart Students

Past Continuous

GRAMMAR, MORAL AND LEADERSHIP

Causative Verbs in English: